Makes 2 cakes
3 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
4 cups cake flour, plus 1 tablespoon for blueberries
1 teaspoon salt
3 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1 1/2 cups blueberries
Zest of lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 (9 x 5 inch) loaf pans and set aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt and baking powder into a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to cream the butter and sugar until pale in color, about 5 minutes on medium speed. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Then add the vanilla and beat until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture, beating until only just combined. Toss the blueberries in flour and fold in with lemon zest.
- Pour batter into the prepared pans, making sure to divide the batter evenly between the two pans. Level tops with an offset spatula or smack on the counter a couple times.
- Bake for about 1 hour, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly.
My notes: This was yummy, but not earth shattering. Should have a piece of this with a cup of tea if you want to get your hygge on. Don’t forget to toss the blueberries in flour. I forgot to do that, and you can see in the photo that all of the blueberries sunk to the bottom. Enjoy and see you next week!