Hey, I hope everyone is hanging in there. My family is still doing well. Everyone is healthy, and my husband and I are able to work from home. But I feel like the whole “opening up” of things is more stressful than just being forced to stay home. So many decisions about when to wear a mask, whether my kids can have friends over, and on and on. Anyway, I just thought I’d do another quick post about what I’ve been up to.
What I’ve Been Cooking:
- Cheeseburger Quesadilla: I should just buy stock in Iowa Girl Eats. Maybe because she’s a Midwestern gal like me, but her recipes are always a big hit in my house. Quesadillas and cheeseburgers combined! Of course my sons were going to love this.
- Szechuan Chicken: Another blog that’s a new favorite is The Happier Homemaker. It’s chockfull of easy and budget-friendly recipes.
What I’ve Been Reading:
- Such a Fun Age: This is a quick (but very well-written) novel about a young black woman who is stopped in a grocery store for suspicious behavior while she is babysitting a white toddler. The novel is about the aftermath of that event. While it’s quite entertaining and deals with a lot of interesting issues about race relations, I thought the character of the toddler’s mother was a little over the top. Still, I think it’s worth checking out.
- Catch and Kill: Journalist Ronan Farrow writes about reporting on the allegations (well, he’s now been convicted of actual crimes) of sexual assault and misconduct against Harvey Weinstein. Even if you have heard the news about Weinstein’s crimes, this book is worth reading. There’s a lot going on in the reporting of this story and in the attempts to keep the story from being reported that is fascinating.
What I’ve Been Watching:
- Upload: We’re about seven episodes in to this Amazon Prime show by the creator of The Office. It’s sort of a rom-com/sci-fi/mystery. Probably the closest show to compare it to would be The Good Place, because it’s about the afterlife. But in this show, the premise is that right before you die you can be “uploaded” if you’ve paid for it. Once you’re uploaded you live in a heaven-like place (with in app purchases!), and can have some interaction with the living. You also get tech support, but they are called angels. It’s not a laugh a minute type of show, but it is funny enough and interesing enough to help you escape to a different world for 30 minutes.
And What I’ve Been Listening To:
- Fake Doctors, Real Friends: Similar to Office Ladies, this is a rewatch podcast that’s hosted by actors from the show. But this time it’s Scrubs, and it’s hosted by Zach Braff and Donald Faison, who played the lead characters. Scrubs was a sitcom about hospital workers that aired for nine years in the early 2000s. This podcast is worth it for the theme song itself, which was written and performed by Braff and Faison.
I would love some suggestions from you, especially about movies. I really get into TV shows and neglect all the great movies out there.
Take care everyone. Stay safe (and at home, if you can)!